Dating from the mid-19th century when Italianate gardens were very fashionable, this garden was designed by Lady Marian Alford. The Garden was removed and laid to lawn in the 1950s and reinstated in 2000.

Welcome to Ashridge House

To explore the gardens of Ashridge House
use the garden menu on the left of the screen.

Above the Italian Garden stands a replica of a statue of Queen Elizabeth I by Sir Richard Westmacott. She stayed at the house as a child. As depicted in Repton’s original plans, a line of yews believed to date back to the early 17th century still stands today. Together with the shrubberies, they complement an impressive oak planted by Princess Victoria in 1823 to commemorate her visit. This garden was slightly adapted from Repton’s original proposal by Sir Jeffry Wyatville. Instead of ten rose beds, Wyatville opted for a more geometric pattern of eight segments with a central fountain. The garden was encircled by a yew hedge that still exists today. The Rosary was restored in 1999 and replanted in 2010 with a range of roses reminiscent of the mid-Victorian period, when this type of garden was at its heyday. Eight rose beds arranged around a central fountain are surrounded by a yew hedge and climbing roses. Jeffry Wyatville adapted Repton’s original plans around 1820, and it was restored in 1999 and replanted in 2014.8 The garden seen today was developed in the mid-19th century from Wyatville’s original plan. Created in 2008 as an example of a sustainable garden, it provides year round interest without the requirement of irrigation. Created in 1972, this garden is situated on the site of the former gardener’s yard. It is composed of heathers, conifers and maples around a water cascade and pool made from Westmorland limestone. Designed by Matthew Digby Wyatt in 1864 to replace an old glasshouse, it was dedicated solely to growing ferns which were very fashionable in the Victorian era. Created at the same time as the Fernery, the garden is planted with seasonal bedding displays twice a year. The Grotto area was constructed using Hertfordshire puddingstone to form an amphitheatre. The Souterrein is a tunnel of iron armatures hung with flints that links the Grotto to the Flower Garden. Constructed in the 1870s on the site of a former fishpond, the Skating Pond is a distinctive feature of Lady Marian Alford’s extension to the gardens. The Moat next to the Skating Pond was originally filled with water but is now intentionally left dry. The avenue of Wellingtonias was planted in 1858 on the axis with the house and has as its focal point the prospect mound believed to date from Tudor times. A circle of incense cedars was planted in 1907 around a memorial to Gertrude, Countess of Pembroke, the eldest sister of Adelaide, the wife of the 3rd Earl Brownlow. Repton’s plan for a ‘rustic seat in a grove’ was not implemented by Wyatville. Based on a drawing in the Red Book for Ashridge, the arbour was constructed in 1998 using yew from the garden and larch from the estate.
Sorry but this doesn’t work on mobile devices.

Find out more about Ashridge House’s amazing history, building and grounds